Fall Must-Do Events on the Upper Texas Coast
If you’re looking for must-do events on the Upper Texas Coast in September and October! This region offers everything from dog festivals to county fairs to Oktoberfest events. Festivals are a great way to explore a new destination and enjoy the local charm of a community.
Must-Do Events for September (check for current dates and details):
- Sept. 10, 2022, Mexican Heritage Festival hosted by the Mexican Heritage Society of Port Arthur. Festivities include a pageant, folkloric dancers, mariachis, food, and drink. (Jefferson Co)
- Sept. 17 & 24, 2022, Xtreme Hummingbird Extravaganza in Lake Jackson at Gulf Coast Bird Observatory. During two Saturdays in September each year, you’ll be able to see migrating hummingbirds up close as the observatory carefully bands the small birds. (Brazoria Co)
- Sept. 23 & 24, 2022, Galveston Island Shrimp Festival in Galveston’s historic downtown. Every year, cooking teams compete for the best gumbo. Activities include a 5K Fun Run, Merchant WalkAbout, and Gumbo Stroll. (Galveston Co)
Must-Do Events for October (check for current dates and details):
- Oct. 1, 2022, Hogg-tober Fest at the Varner-Hogg Plantation in West Columbia. This is a family-friendly event offering hayrides, storytelling, and more. (Brazoria Co)
- Oct. 8, 2022, Craft Beer Fest in Kemah at the Kemah Boardwalk. The event features 24 breweries and 72 craft beers. Plus, it’s Boo on the Boardwalk with Halloween-themed events every weekend in October. (Galveston Co)
- Oct. 8, 2022, Oktoberfest in Beaumont at Rogers Park. Picture everything you love about Oktoberfest, authentic polka and live music, a beer garden, food, and more. Plus, it’s free. (Jefferson County)
- Oct. 8, 2022, Dogtober Fest in Beaumont. Calling all dog lovers! This pet-lovers festival offers a Strut Your Mutt Competition, PAW Readings, Puppy Kissing Booth, and other dog-themed activities. (Jefferson Co)
- Oct. 8, 2022, Matagorda Day in Matagorda. Picture a parade, live auction, vendors, and food benefitting the Matagorda Volunteer Fire Department. (Matagorda Co)
- Oct. 14 – 22, Brazoria County Fair at the fairgrounds in Angleton. The website includes a detailed calendar of events, including a rodeo, pageant, carnival, art exhibits, and more. (Brazoria Co)
- Oct. 21-23, 2022, Bay City Lions Club Rice Festival in Matagorda at the Matagorda County Fair Grounds. Check their schedule for mutton busting, a pageant, a gumbo cook-off, a car show, and a parade. (Matagorda Co)
- Oct. 15-16, 2022 ARToberFEST Galveston in Galveston’s Downtown Cultural Arts District. ARToberFEST, produced by The Grand 1894 Opera House, showcases the works of more than 120 artists over two days. (Galveston Co)
- Oct. 21-22, 2022, Island Oktoberfest in Galveston hosted by First Lutheran Church. This long-time festival offers continuous music and dancing on two stages, authentic German food and libations with themed Bier-Garten venues, an in-door holiday market, and homemade Helmut’s strudel (freshly baked on site). Plus, it’s free. (Galveston Co)
This list of must-do events is just a sampling of things to do in the Upper Texas Coast. For more ideas, click Things to Do and search by category.
Lone Star Coastal Alliance is committed to promoting nature and heritage tourism and outdoor recreation opportunities in Jefferson, Galveston, Brazoria, and Matagorda Counties.