Fall Must-Do Events on the Upper Texas Coast
If you’re looking for must-do events on the Upper Texas Gulf Coast in the fall, this region offers everything from dog festivals to county fairs to Oktoberfest events. Festivals are a great way to explore a new destination and enjoy the local charm of a community.
Must-Do Events for the Fall on the Upper Texas Coast (check for current dates and details):
- Sept. 9, 2023, Mexican Heritage Festival hosted by the Mexican Heritage Society of Port Arthur. Festivities include a pageant, folkloric dancers, mariachis, food, and drink. (Jefferson Co)
- Sept. 16 & 23, 2023, Xtreme Hummingbird Extravaganza in Lake Jackson at Gulf Coast Bird Observatory. During two Saturdays in September each year, you’ll see migrating hummingbirds up close as the observatory carefully bands the small birds. (Brazoria Co)
- Sept. 17, Lamar University Centennial Fest in Beaumont. Lamar University is marking this milestone with live music, food, and children’s activities and will close the evening with the Spindletop Gladys-City Boomtown Museum Gusher and fireworks. (Jefferson Co)
- Sept. 17, Toughest 10K in Kemah. This race is part of a three-bridge series for runners. And, yes, it’s tough. (Galveston Co)
- Sept. 22 & 23, 2023, Galveston Island Shrimp Festival in Galveston’s historic downtown. Every year, cooking teams compete for the best gumbo. Activities include a 5K Fun Run, Merchant WalkAbout, and Gumbo Stroll. (Galveston Co)
- Oct. 7, 2023, Hogg-tober Fest at the Varner-Hogg Plantation in West Columbia. This is a family-friendly event offering hayrides, storytelling, and more. (Brazoria Co)
- Oct. 7, 2023, Fall Craft Beer Fest in Kemah at the Kemah Boardwalk. The event features 24 breweries and 72 craft beers. Plus, it’s Boo on the Boardwalk with Halloween-themed events every weekend in October. (Galveston Co)
- Oct. 7, 2023, Oktoberfest in Beaumont at Rogers Park. Picture everything you love about Oktoberfest: authentic polka and live music, a beer garden, food, and more. Plus, it’s free. (Jefferson County)
- Oct. 8, 2023, St. Anthony’s Shrimporee in Palacios. The festival includes lunch, shrimp or barbecue, a live auction, music, children’s games and more. (Matagorda Co)
- Oct. 14, 2023, Dogtober Fest in Beaumont. Calling all dog lovers! This pet-lovers festival offers a Strut Your Mutt Competition, PAW Readings, Puppy Kissing Booth, and other dog-themed activities. (Jefferson Co)
- Oct. 13 – 21, 2023, Brazoria County Fair at the fairgrounds in Angleton. The website includes a detailed calendar of events, including a rodeo, pageant, carnival, art exhibits, and more. (Brazoria Co)
- Oct. 19-22, 2023, Bay City Lions Club Rice Festival in Matagorda at the Matagorda County Fair Grounds. Check their schedule for mutton busting, a pageant, a gumbo cook-off, a car show, and a parade. (Matagorda Co)
- Oct. 21-22, 2023, ARToberFEST Galveston in Galveston’s Downtown Cultural Arts District. ARToberFEST, produced by The Grand 1894 Opera House, showcases the works of more than 120 artists over two days. (Galveston Co)
- Oct. 27-28, 2023, Island Oktoberfest in Galveston hosted by First Lutheran Church. This long-time festival offers continuous music and dancing on two stages, authentic German food and libations with themed Bier-Garten venues, an in-door holiday market, and homemade Helmut’s strudel (freshly baked on site). Plus, it’s free. (Galveston Co)
- Oct. 28, 2023, Pedal of Palacios Bike Ride in Palacios. The ride offers 12, 36 and 60-mile routes and is followed by a post-ride shrimp boil in town park. (Matagorda Co)
- Nov. 11, 2023, Miss Palacios Pageant in Palacios. This hometown pageant has been an annual tradition for nearly 50 years. (Matagorda Co)
This list of must-do events is just a sampling of things to do on the Upper Texas Coast. For more ideas for exploring the Upper Texas Gulf Coast, download our Trip Plans.
Lone Star Coastal Alliance is committed to promoting nature and heritage tourism and outdoor recreation opportunities in Jefferson, Galveston, Brazoria, and Matagorda Counties.