Brazosport is where Texas history began. It is where the group known as Stephen F. Austin’s “Old 300” first stepped off the schooner “Lively,” near the mouth of the Brazos River in 1821. Their hardships and sacrifices were rewarded with the signing of the Treaties of Velasco, which gave Texas its independence from Mexico.
Stephen F. Austin, the Father of Texas, was originally buried at this pioneer cemetery in Jones Creek. The cemetery was part of the Peach Point Plantation, which he considered to be his only home in Texas. His crypt remains alongside his beloved sister. This self-guided site is located at 231 Gulf Prairie Drive, Jones Creek, 77541. 979-233-2464
Surfside Beach is the home of the Fort Velasco Replica. Stephen F. Austin and his colonists first arrived here in Texas in 1821. Eleven years later, in 1832, the first battle of Texas’ war for independence was fought between the colonists and the Mexican Army at Fort Velasco. The actual fort was destroyed by the Hurricane of 1900. Located on the corner of Monument and Parkview in Surfside Beach near City Hall.
This iconic 76-foot tall statue of Stephen F. Austin, was designed by famed Texas sculptor David Adickes. The complex includes a visitor and information center, picnic areas, and a Texas-shaped pond in the back of the property where catch-and-release fishing is permitted. Open Wednesday – Saturday. Located at 41885 SH 288, Angleton, 77515. 979-849-5965. www.brazoriacountytx.gov/departments/parks-department.
The museum is housed in the 1897 Brazoria County Courthouse located in Angleton. The Austin Colony Exhibit traces the history of Texas as a colony, including the early Spanish exploration of the Area and the events surrounding the war for independence with Mexico. It is the only fully definitive exhibit on Colonial Texas (1821-1836). The museum is also a repository for information on Brazoria County, related historical subjects and extensive genealogical and photographic holdings. Closed Sundays. 100 East Cedar, Angleton, 77515. 979-864-1208 www.bchm.org
Replica of the First Capitol
Columbia (now West Columbia) was the capital of Texas on October 22nd, 1836. On that day, Sam Houston, the first president of the Texas Republic, gave his inaugural address on the steps of the original Capitol. This site is now home to a replica of the original Capitol building and a park with a path connecting a series of monuments that commemorate the history of this area. 200 N. 14th St., West Columbia, 77486. 979-345-3123 www.westcolumbiatx.org.