Exploring the Upper Texas Coast
When people think about exploring Texas as part of a road trip, they often think about Big Bend, the Hill Country, or even the Panhandle. Have you thought about exploring the Upper Texas Coast? Lone Star Coastal Alliance is focused on making those travel plans a little easier with travel ideas and trip plans created with input from local experts.
Three of the nation’s top 10 Christmas bird count locations are in this region, as are significant historic districts from the Victorian Era, right alongside our nation’s energy story – from the discovery of oil at Spindletop that changed the world to nuclear, wind, and solar that are leading the energy transition. Historic sites representing the six national flags flown over Texas stand with miles and miles of amazing places to fish, kayak, paddleboard, and otherwise enjoy nature. Foodies will love exploring local picks for barbecue or oysters. Or plan ahead for festivals and holiday events in the Upper Texas Coast.
Here’s just a sampling of things you can only tour in the Upper Texas Coast:
- Step back in time in a replica boomtown at Spindletop-Gladys City Boomtown in Beaumont. Check their Facebook page so you can be there for a gusher re-enactment.
- Visit the hometown of Janis Joplin in Port Arthur and tour the Museum of the Gulf Coast.
- Go kayaking in the Artist Boat Coastal Heritage Preserve and leave with a painting with Artist Boat in Galveston.
- See an original Andy Warhol painting at The Bryan Museum in Galveston
- See the largest red drum hatcheries in the world at the Sea Center Texas in Lake Jackson,
- Paddle through one of the most incredible ecological systems in our region in the Sugar Mill Stretch of the Stephen F Austin Trail on the Brazos River in Brazoria County.
- Savor breakfast at Hotel Blessing coffee shop and restaurant in Matagorda County.
- Go sailing on half scale seaworthy reproduction of Rene-Robert Cavelier’s ship LaBelle in Palacios, TX
Cities like Beaumont or Palacios make a great start to a weeklong tour through this varied region. This is a tiny glimpse of things to do in the Lone Star Coastal region along the Upper Texas Coast. Stay tuned for more exploration ideas for Jefferson, Galveston, Brazoria, and Matagorda Counties.
This is just a glimpse of things to do along the Upper Texas Coast. Download our new Trip Plans for more ideas for experiencing Jefferson, Galveston, Brazoria, and Matagorda Counties.
Lone Star Coastal Alliance is committed to promoting nature and heritage tourism and outdoor recreation opportunities in Jefferson, Galveston, Brazoria, and Matagorda Counties.