One of the few remaining lighthouses on the Gulf Coast, the Bolivar Point Lighthouse is a living piece of the history of Texas.
Built in 1872, the lighthouse shined every day but two until its retirement in 1933. Since it was auctioned in 1947, the Bolivar Point Lighthouse has been privately owned and maintained by descendants of E.V. Boyt and his sister Ila Maxwell. Structurally, it is historically significant as one of only two iron lighthouses on the Gulf; and symbolically, the lighthouse is significant as she not only weathered hurricanes and friendly fire, but has also offered safe harbor to the residents and visitors of Bolivar seeking shelter.
The story of the Bolivar Point Lighthouse is one of courage, trauma, loneliness, peace, family, death, and staying power. It is a living piece of the history of Bolivar, a symbol of this community, and it is now in dire need of restoration.
The Bolivar Point Lighthouse Foundation 501(c)(3) is a Texas-based non-profit historical preservation organization dedicated to saving the 1872 Bolivar Point Lighthouse and sharing her with the people of Texas.
419 Everett Ln Port Bolivar, TX 77650
Mailing Address: Bolivar Point Lighthouse Foundation, P. O. Box 385, Port Bolivar, TX 77650